Thursday, March 24, 2011

West Is West - Movie Review


West is West is a sequel to 1999's East is East (which I haven't seen, but think I should!) that follows George Khan (Om Puri) encouraging his teenage son Sajid (Aqib Khan) to follow the Muslim way of life while living in England. Sajid hates it and thinks of himself more English than anything. This leads George to take Sajid to Pakistan for a month to learn about his heritage, but he finds out he has changed since he has last been there.

I didn't really know what this movie was going to be about when I went in, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was funny, with cultures clashes and a great homecoming story. There is some great acting by Puri and Khan and I am definitely going to find East is East and watch that, though this movie is good as a stand-alone as well. West is West comes out in theatres this Friday, March 25th.

No comments: